I'm part of Amazon Associate and some other affiliate programs, If you buy through links on this site, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Read Full Affiliate Disclosure
Car dash cameras, also known as dash cams, are becoming increasingly popular in Australia as drivers look for ways to protect themselves and their vehicles on the road. These small cameras attach to the dashboard or windscreen of a car and continuously record footage while you drive. In addition to providing evidence in the event of an accident, dash cams can also help deter reckless driving and improve road safety.
With so many options on the market, it can be difficult to know which dash cam is right for you. To help you make an informed decision, we’ve rounded up the best car dash cameras in Australia.
5 Best Dash Cams You Can Buy in Australia
Here’s my list of the best dash cams you can buy in Australia. Most of them are available in the USA and Canada, so if you’re from these countries, you’ll probably be able to buy them as well.
The Nextbase 422GW is a high-end dash cam that offers a number of advanced features, including GPS tracking and Alexa voice control. With a 140-degree lens, this dash cam provides a wide field of view and excellent image quality. The 422GW also features a built-in 3-inch touchscreen, making it easy to view and manage your footage.
The Thinkware U1000 is another top-of-the-line dash cam with a range of impressive features, including dual-channel recording, advanced parking mode, and more. With its 150-degree lens and Sony STARVIS image sensor, this dash cam delivers exceptional image quality and coverage. The Thinkware U1000 comes with a number of safety features, such as forward collision warning and lane departure warning, to help keep you safe on the road.
Garmin Dash Cam 66W
The Garmin Dash Cam 66W is a small, easy-to-use dash cam that offers a range of useful features and reliable performance. With a 140-degree lens and 1080p recording, this dash cam provides clear and detailed footage. The Garmin Dash Cam 66W also features built-in GPS tracking and voice control, making it a convenient choice for drivers.
The Apeman C450 is an affordable and feature-packed dash cam that is ideal for budget-conscious buyers. With a 170-degree lens and 1080p recording, this dash cam provides wide coverage and clear images. The Apeman C450 also features a built-in screen, motion detection, and loop recording, making it a well-rounded and convenient choice.
The Blackvue DR900S-2CH is a high-end dash cam that offers dual-channel recording, 4K recording, and built-in WiFi. With a 139-degree front lens and a rear lens that records in 1080p, this dash cam provides complete coverage of the front and back of your vehicle. The Blackvue DR900S-2CH also features advanced parking mode, which uses its built-in battery to continue recording even when your car is parked.
Installing Your Dash Cam
Dash cam installation is a relatively simple process that can be done with a few tools and steps. Here is a general guide to follow:
- Choose the right location: It is important to choose a location on your windshield or dashboard that will not obstruct your view and provide a clear view of the road ahead. Most people place their dash cameras behind the rear-view mirror or on the right side of the windscreen.
- Clean the mounting surface: Before installing the camera, clean the surface where you want to place it with a clean cloth to remove any dirt or dust.
- Attach the mount: Most dash cameras come with a suction cup mount. Simply attach the suction cup to the chosen location and press firmly to secure it.
- Connect the power cable: Connect the power cable of the dash camera to your car’s cigarette lighter or power outlet. Some cameras have built-in batteries, but for best results, it is recommended to use an external power source.
- Adjust the angle: Once the camera is in place, adjust the angle to capture a clear view of the road and make sure it is pointing in the right direction.
- Hide the power cable: Run the power cable under the trim or along the edge of the windshield to hide it and prevent it from being seen.
- Test the camera: Finally, start your car and make sure the camera is powered on. Test the camera to ensure that it is recording properly and that the view is clear.
It is important to make sure that the camera is installed securely and in a location that complies with your local traffic laws. If you are not comfortable with the installation process, it may be best to seek assistance from a professional.
Best Dash Cam Stores in Australia
There are several well-known stores in Australia that offer a wide range of car dash cameras. But it is always a good idea to do some research before making a purchase and compare the features, prices, and reviews. Online retailers like Amazon Australia and eBay Australia can also be good options for finding dash cameras. Here are some popular options:
- JB Hi-Fi: JB Hi-Fi is a popular electronics retailer that offers a large selection of dash cameras from well-known brands like Garmin, Nextbase, and Thinkware.
- Harvey Norman: Harvey Norman is another electronics retailer that offers a range of dash cameras from brands such as Blackvue, Uniden, and Mio.
- The Good Guys: The Good Guys is another electronics retailer that offers a variety of dash cameras from brands such as Garmin, Navman, and Blackvue.
- Officeworks: Officeworks is an office supply store that also offers a range of dash cameras from brands such as Nextbase, Thinkware, and Mio.
- Betta Home Living: Betta Home Living is a home goods store in Los Angeles, California, United States. It has a range of home goods.
When it comes to choosing a car dash cam for your vehicle in Australia, it’s important to consider all of your options. There are several brands and models on the market, all offering different features. The best car dash camera for you will depend on what features you need and how much you are willing to spend. Some features to consider include resolution, Wi-Fi and GPS capabilities, data storage, parking mode, and durability.
Additionally, you should consider the overall design of the camera and the ease of installation. Doing your research and comparing different models will help you find the best car dash camera for your needs.