Cordless drills are tools that not too many people utilize, but they are helpful for various car detailing tasks such as removing car seats, attaching drill brushes to them, deep cleaning seats and carpets, etc. In this post, I’ll show you my favorite cordless drills for car detailers and overall automotive uses.
My Top Picks:
1. DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Drill – If you’re a pro
- Dewalt drill is compact at only 6.3 inch front to back designed to fit in tight spaces.
- Power drill with variable speed trigger allows for control and precision on delicate work surfaces
- DEWALT 20V drill with brushless motor for efficient performance
If you are not bothered about the size and weight of a larger 20V DeWalt Cordless Drill, then the DeWalt DCD708C2 Atomic 20V Max Li-ion Brushless Compact Drill/Driver Kit should be a choice among many.
It has 2x20V Batteries (1.5 Ah), which will be enough for most car detailing jobs. You may just need to replace them in the middle of the job.
It is closer in size to the 12-volt De Walt drills, but it is a little more. Realistically, weight and size are the only differences between this drill and the 12-volt De Walt Drill.
And, of course, you will need this drill when your car detailing project requires unscrewing the bolts and using drill brush attachments.
If you are starting on the DIY road or car detailing project, this drill is best for you, especially if you do not want to deal with the larger drills.
If you also think about growing your collection of cordless tools in the future because you have some inline, this is good for you because the atomic is part of DeWalt’s extensive 20-volt line of cordless tools to purchase.
One good thing about 20V DeWalt cordless tools is that they all have the same batteries. Also, you can buy bigger batteries (up to 20Ah) for more runtime.
- This device has easy and fast changes due to ratcheting chucks
- Lithium-ion technology battery offers this device lots of power for robust operation
- It has a 2-speed brushless motor that delivers a longer run time
- It has LED light that provides superior visibility
- The cordless drill has average durability
- Not the biggest battery (1.5 Ah) out there
2. Black&Decker 20V MAX Cordless Drill – For weekend warriors
- 11-position clutch of this cordless drill helps to prevent stripping screws
- Power drill with 20V MAX* Lithium Ion battery for excellent power and runtime
- The drill/driver has integrated LED light to help provide illumination
Talking about power and versatility in a cordless drill for care detailers, this is it. The Black & Decker 20V MAX Cordless Drill/Driver also handles various household DIY tasks excellently and is especially good for car detailing jobs.
It delivers the speed and torque needed to keep you going within its runtime. It possesses an 11-position clutch, enhancing its controls to prevent stripping screws in driver modes.
Further about performance: to maximize torque, it has opened device transmission. Its build is somewhat exotic, with fastening bit storage, which keeps it handy and organized.
The design also has an integrated LED light that provides you with extra illumination in poorly lit work areas.
This cordless drill is visibly present. It has a variable speed trigger that helps users to control their drilling or screw-driving speed.
This cordless drill is highly rated for many qualities, such as a battery (2.0Ah) and connectivity, value for money, customer support, build and design, convenience, and owner satisfaction. Overall, it has accrued quality reviews and comments.
I have similar cordless drill to this one, also from Black and Decker, and it’s been more than enough for all my detailing tasks.
- The drill is lightweight and compact, ensuring easy handling.
- It is a lithium-ion technology battery powered for robust operation
- It has an 11-position clutch, which prevents stripped screws
- It’s the Best Budget option
- The cordless drill isn’t the most durable out there
3. Kimo 20V Cordless Drill Set
- 【Powerful Motor】KIMO power impact wrenches provide up to 170 ft-lbs of torque and 3400 IPM of...
- 【Extra Long Standby Battery】For over 25 years, KIMO tools have made significant progress in the...
- 【Variable Speed & Forward/Reserve Control】KIMO cordless impact wrench 1/2 inch is pretty easy...
The Kimo 20V Cordless Drill is useful for a wide range of drilling options. The package contains a carrying bag, nut driver bits, charger and battery (2.0 Ah), screwdriver bits, and drill bits.
Its versatility makes it an essential tool for car detailers, hence categorizing it as one of the best five cordless drills for car detailers.
The drill particularly features three different functions, namely drilling, impact drilling, and drilling. All these came with two variable drilling speeds to select from. These include 0-350 RPM and 0-1,350 RPM.
Maximum torque of 330 in-lbs takes care of this device’s power, while precision is managed with the drill that has a 21+1+1 clutch.
The device measures a total of 7 inches from the back to the bottom. It is compact and lightweight, ticking only 2.2 lbs mark measuring scale.
It also has a built-in LED light, which helps car detailers work efficiently in dark environments, especially inside the car. The drill is secured with a 3/8 inches keyless metal chuck.
- Plenty of bits in the package
- Extremely lightweight
- Two speed settings
- It would be better if there were two batteries included
4. DeWalt 20V Cordless Drill Combo Kit – Popular Choice
- DCD771 in cordless drill combo kit features 2 speed transmission (0-450 / 0-1500 RPM)
- DCD771 high performance motor of cordless tools combo kit delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power...
- DCD771 compact, lightweight design of the drill/ impact driver combo kit fits into tight areas
If you are looking for a drill that fits car detailers’ needs almost entirely, this could be it.
The DeWalt 20V Cordless Drill Combo Kit is perhaps the top pick of the cordless drill industry’s most recognizable brand.
It is available with various accessories that fit it perfectly and complementarily for performing a wide range of drilling. You can use this kit both for detailing jobs and for tasks where you need a high torque Nm, such as wheel removal.
You will find a pair of lithium-ion batteries (1.3 Ah), a charger, and ¼ inches impact driver in a carrying bag of this beauty.
The drill delivers as much as 300 unit watts of power, which is more than enough for working on your car.
The drill was designed with a high transmission with two-speed options (0-450 RPM and 1,500 RPM).
Alongside this is a ½ inches single sleeve ratcheting chuck that ensures bits stay in position. Its handle is ergonomically mastered for easy handling and comfortable holding that has optional controls.
The drill is compatible with DeWalt’s 20-volt Max system; This means that it can use all 20V MAX batteries.
By the time of writing this article, this drill is regarded as the number one bestseller in power tool combo kits.
- Fits all 20V batteries from the DeWalt ecosystem
- One of the best drill kits
- More expensive than others
5. SKIL PWRCore 20V Cordless Drill
- 20V CORDLESS DRILL DRIVER KIT - Includes a PWR CORE 20 2.0Ah lithium Battery with PWR ASSIST USB...
- HIGH/LOW SPEED SETTINGS - Low speed is ideal for high torque fastening applications while high speed...
- QUICK BIT CHANGESâ€”1/2 inch single-sleeve keyless metal chuck allows for easy bit changes to...
First, this SKIL PWRCore 20V is a digital brushless drill driver kit.
It is renowned for its massive battery life (2.0 Ah), which has 25 percent longer run times than comparable units.
Still, if you run out of juice using this drill, its PWRJump fast charger comes to your rescue, getting the battery back to at least 25 percent life in just five minutes.
Furthermore, it has a PWRAssist USB port in the battery, making it capable of powering mobile devices.
This also means that the battery can serve as a battery bank for your portable devices.
Not just this, the cordless drill offers excellent versatility, making it a great drill option for car detailers when a versatile and long-lasting cordless drill is all that is required.
This drill is characteristically equipped with 2-speed settings alongside its keyless chuck and ½ inches single sleeve, making it easy to change your bits.
Overall, the drill provides efficient performance and extended use life. You could choose to purchase additional accessories with the drill kit, especially an impact driver from its parent company.
- Competitive Pricing
- Brushless device
- Can charge mobile devices
- Large size of the battery which can make it inconvenient when detailing cars
What To Look For When Buying Cordless Drill For Car Detailing?
Here are the things you should look for when buying the ideal cordless drill for you:
- Power. Aim for cordless drills that have at least 18V of power. Anything below that may be too weak for car detailing tasks, especially when we talk about unscrewing rusted bolts or brushing old carpets.
- Battery size. The bigger isn’t always the better. Thee reason is that you want something that’s not too heavy to work with. I recommend buying cordless drills with at least 1.5Ah batteries, with 2.0Ah being ideal. Good thing with many popular brands is that you can switch batteries to more powerful ones if you need them.
- Weight and size. I don’t recommend buying some robust cordless drill that’s heavy even without the battery. While high-quality built drills will be slightly heavier, don’t pick the heaviest one. I’ve tried it and my hands hurt a lot. That’s the reason why I recommended Dewalt in the first place.
- What other tools you have. If you have, for instance, plenty of other tools from Dewalt, I suggest that you stick with the brand and buy Dewalt (or any other) cordless drill as well. The reason is that most better companies nowadays make whole ecosystems where you can use one battery across all their tools.
- Price. I don’t recommend purchasing the cheapest cordless drill out there. From my experience, you can’t get anything that’s good under $50, so keep that in mind. If you have the budget, aim for drills that cost $100 or more.
Why Using Cordless Drills Can Help You a Lot?
I’ve already mentioned some instances where you might use cordless drills for various auto detailing tasks, and these include:
- seat removal
- deep cleaning
- brushing carpets to remove tiny rocks and dust
- Attaching detailing brushes to a cordless drill and cleaning cupholders
- taking the wheels off of a car
- quickly polishing headlights or some smaller areas on the vehicle
The most important thing why cordless drills are such a useful tool is that they don’t have a cord. So there’s nothing to interrupt you while detailing vehicles, especially when inside the car.
Yes, cordless drills don’t have the same amount of power as corded drills, but you don’t need something too powerful literally for any auto detailing task.