Whether it’s for bodywork, car detailing, or brake jobs, an essential tool on every mechanic’s list is the stool, also known as a creeper seat.
From adjustable heights to tool trays, there is a lot to like about neat pieces of equipment like creeper seats. So, if you’re interested in one, I’ve got seven best creeper seats for detailing.
1. Powerbuilt Heavy Duty Creeper Seat
- BUILT TOUGH: You won't feel flex or sagging when you sit and roll, thanks to a square steel frame...
- ROLLS SMOOTH: The 2-3/4 inch rubber wheels roll smooth across driveways and shop floors. Direction...
- HOLDS YOUR STUFF: With 2 pull-out 14 in. x 8 in. trays, you can store tools, cans, rags, adult...
I love this heavy-duty creeper from Powerbuilt because of its concave shape. And no, I’m not simply talking about the design here. The shape helps keep your rear intact to prevent easy falls while working. Dimension-wise, the seat comes in a generous sizing of 18×10 inches and stands at 14 inches.
Looking at its construction, its 22-inch steel frame supported by 300 lbs. max weight capacity offers a pretty good chance at sturdiness. You get 4 rubber-coated wheels, which ensures you get a smooth slide, and thanks to its ball-bearing swivel on all sides, changing direction comes smoothly as well.
This creeper seat is compatible with both even & uneven surfaces, as two of the four wheels are backed by a locking system. Below the seat, you get a drawer along with two removable gear trays. 4 neat cup holders further back the tray. Yes, they’re probably for WD-40, but there’s no harm in sharing the space with some cold beers.
The Powerbuilt creeper seat is a great tool that succeeds in binding together elements like design, sturdy build, and performance.
The only thing I don’t like about this stool is that the height is not adjustable at all.
- Durable & comfortable
- Tons of storage space
- It comes with great portability
- Easy assembly
- The seat is not adjustable
- The trays are a bit small
2. Torin TR6300 Rolling Creeper Seat
- Rolling creeper seat allows you to work in your garage or workshop in comfort
- Features a soft, fully padded seat for added cushioning, making it comfortable to work on your car,...
- Large, segmented tool tray storage keeps your tools and equipment within quick reach
Next up on my list is the Torin TR6300, and it does not disappoint with the comfort it provides. Its seat comes with full padding, while the frame can manage around 300 lbs.
For the price, I see how the company has done excellent work by enhancing its durability through its all-steel frame. Moreover, the complete frame is well-protected by paintwork, so there isn’t much need to worry about humidity or water destroying the frame. The addition of a tool tray is another excellent plus to the creeper.
The base is well-supported by high-performance casters on all four sides. The castors are completely rotatable (360 degrees), which means you can easily run it through any direction during its use.
However, one thing I both like and dislike about the casters is the size. They’re medium-sized and roll smoothly on most floors except for the rough ones.
I believe comfort plays a big role in creating an efficient workflow. So, if you’re looking for a creeper seat with ample padding, this is honestly one of the best picks currently available. The TR6300 is a model that can offer convenience to any auto shop.
- Large plastic tray
- Thickly padded vinyl seat
- 360-degree rotatable caster wheels
- Rust-protected steel frame
- Plastic tool tray
- Casters are better suited for a smooth surface
3. MYCHANIC Fastback Rolling Creeper Seat
- WE HAVE TRANSITIONED TO URBANTRANSIT. SEARCH FOR PRODUCT ID B09THNTNYF.
- 3 INCH CASTERS | Stool glides easily over rough surfaces and cracks on premium polyurethane 3-inch...
- 350 POUND CAPACITY | Powder coated steel frame supports 350 pounds with ease.
Every now & then, I get products that give out excellent performance without denting my pockets. Well, this is one of those products. The MYCHANIC fastback rolling creeper comes in a sleek design with a massive 350 lbs. max weight capacity.
This 10×16-inch seat also offers comfortable padding and stands at 17 inches tall. The seat, however, is not adjustable. On another note, the storage bin is a definite game-changing gear tray. It features a neat socket organizer to arrange various detailing tools, along with a cup holder.
Considering the weight it can hold, its powder-coated steel exterior is a great companion for garage grounds. Mobility-wise, the creeper is supported by 3-inch premium oversized casters.
I get that the product may not deliver over-the-limit, high-tech features. For the most part, it’s a pretty standard creeper seat. However, when you factor in its pricing, I assure you it can be difficult to find similar high-performing seats within the same price point.
- Easy assembling
- Quality paint coating
- In-built socket holders
- High-quality rubber casters
- Limited features
- Seat padding is not as plush
4. ProLift C-3001 Car Detailing Stool
- 15-20 inches adjustable height
- Convenient tool tray
- 5 heavy-duty 360 degree swivel casters
The Pro-Lift C-3001 is a product that combines style and comfort with durable steel construction. The seat offers a total weight capacity of 300 lbs. But that’s only the start. I love the backless frame of the seat as it ensures increased mobility from the users’ end.
Plus, the adjustable height of the seat further supports various tasks that require different heights. The height arrangement ranges from 15-20 inches, and the creeper remains pretty stable at any height.
With the surface backed by a non-corrosive finish, it lowers the rate of water-induced deterioration and increases the durability of the creeper. The seat is completely armless with a round structure and includes soft yet durable vinyl.
The seat structure comes in extremely handy while maneuvering around cars, especially if you’re performing detailing work. Moreover, all these maneuverings are made possible through the 5-inch heavy-duty casters. The casters come with a 360° swivel to enable a smoother roll.
This one comes with a durable metal tool tray, which is quite an upgrade, considering most tool trays are plastic-built. The tray also provides various sections for organizing different screws & tools.
The Pro-Lift 3001 is a creeper made to offer maximized comfort and functionality – all within an affordable price point. This one is a definite winner if you’re on a budget. Another thing that I think is important is that this simple design enables you to move around freely, especially when you’re machine-polishing a car.
- Adjustable height of 15 – 20 inches
- Built-in metal tray
- Affordable and easy to use
- Reinforced vinyl cushioning
- Not the best casters for rough surfaces
- The tool tray could use more storage
5. ProLifT C-9100 Foldable Z Creeper
- Transforms with no tools in seconds
- 40" Steel frame construction, Seat Size: 14" x 12-1/4"
- Padded seat and headers
I have yet another creeper seat from Pro-Lift, except this one comes with a twist (or a fold). This C-9100 Foldable Z Creeper is an excellent 2-in-1 foldable creeper, and it can be used as a low-profile, flat option for working underneath cars or as a creeper seat. The flat option stretches up to forty inches.
Now, regardless of the choice of seating, the creeper can handle 450 lbs, which isn’t surprising considering its heavy-duty frame. The overall padding is backed by thick cushions, while the base is supported by 6 three-inch swivel casters to allow smooth movement.
Unlike most creepers, this one doesn’t come with a tool tray, mainly due to its folding nature. However, you can find plenty of DIY storage under the seat when the creeper is folded into its ‘Z’ shape. Plus, you won’t need any additional tools to convert it from one shape to the other.
If you’re looking for a creeper that offers versatility and functionality, the c-9100 is an excellent pick. Not only does it make a convenient tool, but it also saves you the cost of purchasing a separate lie-down creeper, given its multi-purpose structure.
- 2-in-1 Seat Creeper
- Ideal for working underneath cars
- Thick padding
- Sturdy construction
- The locking mechanism can be better
- Vinyl is a little cheap
6. Traxion 2-700 ProGear
- Stylish and functional design with a Racing Seat look that provides maximum comfort and...
- Large Gear Tray that spins on its axis for quick and easy tool or part location, saving time and...
- Exclusive ProGear model features 5" casters constructed of polyurethane tread for best-in-class...
Right off the bat, I love how the seating of Traxion 2-700 comes with lumbar support. It’s a huge advantage for individuals who constantly suffer from back pains. The seat itself comes with a fair amount of padding to ensure maximum comfort during work.
The increased height of the creeper is yet another advantage for tall folks. The best part is the height is completely adjustable, with 13.5 inches as the lowest and 17.5 inches as the highest.
Given the wideness of the seat, it provides very little chance of falling over even at its maximum height. In terms of mobility, its 5-inch wide casters deliver a pretty smooth movement on any type of flooring.
The casters are constructed from a combination of plastic & rubber to increase durability. You can easily roll them over cords and hoses with great ease. This is quite useful, especially for crowded auto shops, as it can lower the risk of injuries or get stuck.
Most tool trays can rotate, and by ‘rotate,’ I mean moving unintentionally as you move the creeper. The good thing about the 2-7000 tool tray is that it only moves on your command, and you can easily spin the rotatable gear tray on its axis according to your convenience.
Overall, it’s a great choice of creeper seat that can provide both functionality & productivity in one go.
- Adjustable height
- Lumbar support to reduce lower back pain
- Large casters
- It features a built-in portable handle
- Assembling casters is a little confusing
- Plastic tray
7. Powerbuilt Professional Creeper
- COMFORTABLE: Professional Detailer Seat with an ultra thick backrest and 16-inch wide x 12-inch deep...
- TONS OF STORAGE: This clever garage stool has a 9-inch deep x 13-inch wide pull out drawer, an...
- =SMOOTH-ROLLING: Roll and maneuver with ease thanks to 3-inch ball bearing swivel casters; 2 locking...
Closing up our list is the all-powerful professional creeper from Powerbuilt. Let’s just say it’s a product that really lives up to its price & name. It features a 16-inch wide seat, fully equipped with thick padding along with a backrest and two cup holders on the side.
3-inch casters support the creeper’s movement with ball-bearing swivels. Additionally, locks are added to two casters for stability and increased performance.
It comes in a durable construction of a 1-inch frame and offers a max weight capacity of 500 lbs, which is more than any other standard creeper. But this is no ordinary creeper, and hence, it’s expected. The overall weight of the creeper comes up at around 37 lbs. and stands at 18-inches.
Even in terms of storage, this one outperforms most creepers. It features 2 separate steel drawers along with a handy tool tray placed at the front. It is instances like this that make the product live up to its promise of convenience and functionality.
It does come at a higher price. Hence, it may not be for all. However, if you’re looking to go all in, this professional creeper from Powerbuilt is more than a great pick.
- A massive weight capacity
- Tons of storage
- Great design & performance
- Heavy-duty construction
- The seat is not adjustable
Car Detailing Creeper Seat Buying Guide
You have to know what makes it the best to get the best. Hence, here are some features to consider while shopping for a good creeper seat that improves your comfort.
- Creeper seats can never go wrong with a little extra padding. After all, comfort equals performance, and you wouldn’t want to work on a seat with weak cushioning. So, make sure to pick soft cushioning & materials, especially around the head & back.
- Creeper seats are generally constructed from ply, metal, and plastic. However, among the trio, metal and plastic are more durable. Now, between the two, plastic offers more comfort while metal offers more durability. So, the choice is all yours.
- Working around cars with ease, mainly the underside, largely depends on the smoothness of the seat roller. That said, you can’t go picking any smooth wheels. Instead, the wheeled mobility should depend on the flooring. A smooth garage floor means you’re good with small wheels; meanwhile, large wheels are needed to guarantee smooth movement for rough floors.
Weight Capacity & Height Dimensions
- Creepers come with a standard weight of 175-450 lbs. and 36-40inches for height. However, it’s important to ensure the creeper fits your required weight & height and simply does not go by recommended dimensions. Otherwise, you can say hello to a different kind of discomfort.
- Creeper seats typically come with a tool tray, which is an essential feature for mechanics and detailers. It is undoubtedly another great benefit of investing in a creeper seat. But if you’re planning on going all in, we suggest you find one with a magnetic tray with a low profile.
And if you don’t need a creeper seat but have a friend or relative who is a car detailer, creeper seat could be a great car detailing gift.